Sign the petition
We request that the government intervene and that DHBs urgently provide the funding needed to remedy this pay inequity and properly value our primary health care workers. This in turn will ensure quality, accessible and affordable primary health care can continue to be delivered.
We need 12000 signatures
- Bara signed 2021-09-29 20:00:15 +1300
- Talei signed 2021-09-24 16:27:44 +1200
- Cassandra signed 2021-09-19 21:48:17 +1200
- Hyun Jin signed 2021-09-19 10:41:16 +1200
- Faavoa signed 2021-09-16 14:46:13 +1200
- Sam signed 2021-09-07 11:18:35 +1200
- Rochelle signed 2021-09-06 20:09:53 +1200
- Gillie signed 2021-09-06 20:00:28 +1200
- Olivia signed 2021-09-06 19:44:31 +1200
- Shona signed 2021-09-07 11:18:35 +1200
- Alice signed 2021-08-30 00:39:54 +1200
- Annabelle signed 2021-08-24 14:58:35 +1200
- Rosie signed 2021-08-22 22:46:31 +1200
- Hannah signed 2021-08-22 22:13:26 +1200
- Claire signed 2021-08-20 15:33:13 +1200
- Chantoya signed 2021-08-20 13:34:16 +1200
- Hayden signed 2021-08-19 23:06:33 +1200
- Camila signed 2021-08-19 18:37:37 +1200
- Greg signed 2021-08-19 18:25:27 +1200
- Grant signed 2021-08-19 15:47:48 +1200
Our Primary Healthcare Workers are taking a stand
The New Zealand Nurses Organisation (NZNO) has been in negotiations since November 2019 for the Primary Health Care Multi Employer Collective Agreement (PHC MECA). This covers around 3300 NZNO members who are nurses and administrators in more than 500 GP practices, medical centres and accident and medical centres all over New Zealand.
Did you know that an experienced nurse on the PHC MECA with the same qualifications, skills and experience is currently paid 10.6 percent less than their colleagues working for a district health board (DHB)?
This is completely unjust and undervalues the amazing work these nurses do in providing expert care and advice which often reduces hospital admissions.
Seventy percent of respondents to the NZNO PHC MECA survey said they were considering leaving the sector because of higher pay elsewhere.
We are in a unique situation where PHC employers want to pay their nurses much more but need to be given additional funding through the DHBs to do so.
Unfortunately, while DHBs are paying their nurses at higher rates they are not passing on enough funding to ensure PHC nurses are paid and valued the same.
Importantly during the COVID crisis the Government provided additional funding to early childhood education, with private employers, to address staffing shortages due to low pay. This shows that what we are asking for is absolutely possible.
Please stand with us and sign the petition now!